On Gratitude and Missions

Well, hello there. It's only been a long time since I've posted. Probably because life has been really crazy.

First of all, I started my mission papers. Second, I turned them in. Third, you guessed it, I received my call! It's crazy how things happen in our lives.
Here is the story.
The promptings came a little at a time. I felt like I should do little things (prepare for the temple, study certain scriptures/books, etc) and one day I was like wait, I think these are things that prepare me for a mission. I was at home, and I started talking about it with my family. And then it felt right. So I got back to school and immediately started my papers. Definitely faced some adversity. But on Wednesday, November 19, my call arrived. I thought I would wait until today, November 26, but luckily my family got as impatient as me, and we met in Heber and opened my call. I brought my old roommates/best friends Emily and Angela, and then my best friend/not roommate Michael. On the way, I took a wrong exit and so that was fun.
My family and grandparents were waiting for me. I opened my call...and read it...and I am going to the Philippines Urdaneta Mission. I report January 21, 2015, and I will speak Tagalog. The joy and excitement and love I felt when opening my call was so awesome! I didn't expect to feel an immediate connection to the place.
Anyways, since then its been preparation.
Here is a list of five things I've learned through this process. I like lists. I like sharing things I learned.
1. Heavenly Father ALWAYS answers prayers. I prayed for a long time to know if I should go. I never got an answer. But in reality, my answer came by realizing that those with a desire to serve are called for the work, and that I had been given the opportunity to go if I chose to. Heavenly Father answers time and time again as I doubt. Sometimes the answer is a prompting, and sometimes its just a reminder that I already know the answers.
2. The adversary ALWAYS tries to get you to doubt those answers. I have noticed a repeating cycle of 3 doubts. Over and over one of them would come to my mind. They still are. But I have also realized that the doubts are in response to a spiritual experience. It's a time to learn to doubt my doubts before I doubt my faith. Dwelling on the doubt always brings fear and confusing. Dwelling in the peaceful revelation gained before brings peace and more revelation to make faith stronger.
3. Nothing ever goes as planned. My schedule of events changes almost every day, and it's out of my control. I'm learning slowly to make goals instead of schedules. Because from the day to day, to overall plans, Heavenly Father and the world and our own actions change these things up. My papers were not in the day I thought they'd be. The boys didn't leave me alone like I thought they would (no complaints). My call didn't come the day I thought it would (again, no complaints, it came early). My apartment hasn't sold as quickly as I thought it would (complaint.) But it all works out.
4. Sometimes the decisions we make are between two wrong roads. Sometimes it's a wrong and a right road. And sometimes we make a choice between two right roads. And sometimes we can choose two right roads. These situations don't need a lot of explanation, but if you are struggling with a decision, consider these options. There's not always a right and a wrong.
5. I read a quote that said, "When people say life's hard, I say, 'compared to what?'" It made me laugh because it is so true. Life is hard, and that's what it is. But through the gospel it can become easier, at least the burdens lifted a little lighter. We haven't even as spirits had an experience as difficult as life. But we are here for a purpose. And that's what I get to share!

I also wanted to take some time on this post to express gratitude. A top list, if you want to read it.
1. Ice cream. Probably one thing I am grateful for is all the foods. But there is something special and magical about ice cream.
2. Books. For my entire life, books have played a major part in my entertainment as well as learning. I have always loved to read.
3. Mountains. If I had to pick one place at this moment that was the most peaceful, it would be in the mountains.
4. The sky. Most people that spend any time with me know that I point out clouds, no clouds, stars, sunsets, sunrises, blue skies, or basically anything that can be called the heavens. My instagram account can also attest to this.
5. My friends. I have the best friends in the world. I am so lucky and blessed to know the people I know.
6. My parents. They taught me really good. Again, I am lucky and blessed to have my parents as my best friends.
7. My brothers. As much as I think I'm not so grateful for them, I really am. I have more good, funny, sad, silly, important memories than most other people. They are my friends from the cradle to eternity.
8. The restoration of the gospel. I don't know how life would be if I was born before this time, but I know it wouldn't be complete without the gospel. How blessed I am to be born right now, into the gospel, with the knowledge I have.
9. Temples. The most amazing thing we can do on earth is be sealed to our families forever. I haven't experienced the sealing to my own spouse, but being a part of a family that can be together after death is the sweetest knowledge.
10. The atonement. Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. For me personally, I need Him and the sacrifices he gave every single day. We all do. He is the reason-for the season and for all days. I am so grateful that I can repent, and strive to be more like him.

Well, this is as much typing as I can do today. I will try to keep all of you more updated. :)

PICTURES :)
The temple pictures are from an awesome date I went on where we visited 5 temples in one day. amazing.
Brigham City

CALLED TO SERVE HIM. 
Emily, Me, Angela

My family!

Philippines Flag

Michael and I

Ogden

Brigham City

Salt Lake City

So happy!

Comments